22 June 2011

Project NAS Server

I check this evening a bit what motherboard to use. I wanted a mini ITX board and there are 2 main options:
1. An Intel Atom and onboard raid or on a small daughter board like with the jetway.
2. AMD E350 board + RAID controller

The AMD is in general a bit faster and newer, for example you have PCI-e, usb 3 and 4 sata 600 connections. But no raid support on the board itself. In my current server I have a 4 port raid controller and this cost around 100€ and a board of this type can be found for about 85€.

Intel board are starting from around 50€ but the version with the feature I want on board is something like 160€. So the price is more or less the same.

Software raid is also an option but I don't have much experience with it, so I feel more for hardware raid for now.

At the end I preferred the AMD E350 a bit more because it is generally faster and newer features.

On ebay I found a raid controller “HighPoint RocketRAID 2640X4” for about 65€ + 24€ shipping cost.

For the motherboard I’m looking to buy 1 of these two:
1. ASRock E350M1
2. Sapphire PURE White Fusion E350 IPC-E350M1W

I will wait for ordering this until I know what case I will take.

Next thing is check the power supply option but this will be for tomorrow.

No comments: