11 August 2010

RAID troubles

After a lot of tries and a few raid cards tested, I finally got a working RAID system in my home server. Running windows vista, something I have to change soon. Think about Linux or window server 2008.

After 2 month running troubles started. When Bittorrent is running after 30 min the speed went to 10k our something like that and the raid disk can't be accessed anymore. When I request the machine to do a restart it was blocking and I had to manually stop and start the server.

Investigation on the problem reveals a message from the RAID system in the event viewer. But I could not find any info on internet about it:

The device, \Device\Scsi\2310_001, did not respond within the timeout period.

A firmware update of the RAID card (highpoint 2310 with four disk of 1T in RAID 5) didn't solve the problem.
After checking it further I see in the log of bittorrent a message about 100% overload. Again on internet not a lot of useful information, a few tips to avoid the problem but not really solving it like:

1. Increase cash because the message means that the cash is full an can't be write to the hard drive, but making the cash bigger is only delaying the problem.
2. Check the mode of the disk drives that it isn't set to PIO
3. And a few others

Nothing that work then I check what the disk cash option where of bittorrent and you have options like "don't use windows disk cash", after un-checking all these option it is WORKING again. I don't now what the cause is of this but it is working :)

No comments: